Nellithope was once a tiny province along the sea shores of Bay of Bengal. The church of the assumption set at Nellithope on the western outskirts of the town. Madame Jeanne Dupleix wife of Dupleix gave a place that is an orchard of gooseberries to Jesuits for housing poor Catholics who had no place to stay in Pondicherry.
Initiation of church of assumption
Foundation for this Church of assumption was put on 1750, built into small building but then later the chapel was destroyed due to floods in November in the year 1840.
Existing church of the assumption
Foundation was again laid in 1841 by the bishop Rev. Hebert. He started the construction works and completed with an additional expenses rather than budgets. Second recent Jesuit fathers engineered a chapel there in 1788.The church was built in 1841-1851 and freelance parish came into existence around 1866 and was taken care of by the petit seminaire faculty fathers. Then this church was blessed on 1851 by his extraordinary bonnand. The area of Nellithope church is set to be two third of the area of cathedral church in Pondicherry.
The church that is one hundred sixty years recent is that the work of the French missionaries of the French occupation of Pondicherry. A land possibly a ground was given by Dupleix for the housing of poor Christians in Pondicherry. . Second recent Jesuit fathers engineered a chapel there in 1788.The church was built in 1841-1851 and freelance parish came into existence around 1866 and was taken care of by the petit seminaire faculty fathers.
The 150th anniversary of this church of assumption was held in 2001 during the tenure of Thomas. For adoration of Blessed Sacrament a new chapel was built after the 150th anniversary by Arulnathan in the year 2009.
Glorious Prayer every week
Bearing witness to history and spanning generations, today the assumption church stands high and hallowed at Nellithope to bless more generations to come and redeem more souls.